On an annual basis in Indonesia,
19.3 million tonnes of rice straw is open-burned, releasing 28.8 million tonnes of CO2-eq into the atmosphere.
It's time to
stop the burn
and secure our future
Mitigate climate change and ensure food security through regenerative agricultural practices that follow an environmentally, economically and socially sustainable model.
The 3 Pillars
Reduce greenhouse gas emissions and atmospheric CO2 levels through the prevention of agricultural crop-residue open-burn and direct carbon removal.
Promote regenerative agricultural practices that ensure long-term food security.
Follow a circular business model that is socially responsible and economically sustainable with a particular emphasis on supporting smallholder farming communities.
The global and local effects of crop burning
- A high volume of greenhouse gas emissions.
- Contributes to 5% of global black carbon emissions - a short-lived atmospheric pollutant with a global warming impact 460 - 1500 times stronger than CO2.
- Health risk - according to the WHO, air pollution kills 7 million people each year.
- Damaging to local soil health, biodiversity, and prolonged food security.
A super charcoal created through pyrolysis - the process of heating biomass without oxygen.
Benefits and Uses:
- Can be used as a soil amendment to increase crop yield
- Can reduce soil acidity
- Improve soil water retention
- Permanently sequesters and removes carbon from the carbon cycle
Waste rice straw is converted into BioChar through pyrolysis.
For every 3 tonnes of rice straw, 1 tonne of BioChar is produced.
For every 1 tonne of BioChar produced, 1.4 tonnes of carbon is sequestered.
Purchase waste rice straw from farming communities, directly increasing their income.
Distribute BioChar fertilizer to farming communities that originally supplied the rice straw.
Create BioChar from rice straw through Pyrolysis. Using equipment that is energy efficient and avoids GHG emissions.
Collaborate with local soil science institutions to develop an organic, BioChar-based fertilizer.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter